2017: how can International students on an OPT visa filing tax?

My husband and I filed federal/state tax successfully this year. At first, we were very panicked: should we file the tax by ourselves or find an agent to do it? I heard the US tax filing is very complicated.  We even went to HR Block for help. However, the woman who assisted us was not very familiar with Chinese students’ tax exemption policy. She quoted us for $240 each person. That is too expensive! We decided to fill out the form by ourselves.

I read a lot of articles online and found that we can file federal tax through glacier app which is totally free! For the state tax, we can use an app called Sprintax. It cost around $19 since NYU has a discount from this company. I highly recommend it: reasonable price and fast service. It helps you get things done quickly.

However, Glacier and Sprintax only work for international students who have been in the US for under 5 years.

If you have any questions regarding tax filing, please contact me: yellowsnow92727@gmail.com or leave a comment below. I will try to respond you in two days.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s